In part 3 of the article series "How God Wants Husbands To Treat Their Wives" we will look at Colossians 3:19 and Ephesians 5:25-33
love your wives and do not be bitter toward them.
love your wives and do not be harsh with them
NLT: And you husbands must love your wives and never treat them harshly.
How can a husband be bitter towards his wife? Wives become bitter with their husbands whenever the husbands expectations of his wife are unrealistically high.
- What are some things husbands do that are harsh to wives?
- How are you harsh with your wife?
- What unrealistic expectation(s) have you set on your wife?
Expectations are premeditated resentments that we harbor and allow to fester and eat at us until we explode.
Husbands, your wife is not going to be God for you. She will not satisfy your deepest longing. Only the Lord will satisfy you. And only the Lord will satisfy her. Truly, if you love the Lord with all your heart, you will have no reason to be bitter with your wife.
Ephesians 5:25-33 - Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH." This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
- God calls us to love our wives like Christ loved. What does loving your wife like Christ loves the church look like?
- God forgave us of our sins. To be Christ-like we to need to forgive. Thinking about God's forgiveness and your home, is your home a forgiveness based home? What might that look like if it was? How would you put forgiveness in your home into practice?
- What qualities of Christ does your wife see in you? Does your wife see qualities of Jesus when you respond to her? What are those qualities? When you do relate to your wife as Christ, how does she respond? And when you do not, how does she respond?
- How would your wife answer the question: does my husband love me as Christ loves the Church?
- What can we do today to live out Christ-like qualities as we relate to our wives?
- How does God expect you to lead your wife?
Our call as men is to follow God’s design no matter or wife’s actions. Marriage is not a contract where you do your part only if she does her part. Marriage is a covenant where you fulfill your part despite the actions of your wife.